RSS

trying to make a difference through my words.

common mistakes!

I've had enough. I just have to get this out of my system. lol. I'm always on Twitter and I follow a lot of people, when I'm in the mood, I browse through my timeline... and I regret it after! lol. Why? One reason are the endless whining. lol. But the main reason are the wrong grammars. So here, I'm going to blog about the common mistakes that people make. I don't know if they do it on purpose or what, but nothing's going to stop me from blogging it. Sorry.


Okay, first of all, I'm not a native English speaker. I'm from the Philippines and my first language is Filipino, so yeah, I just learned English. But regardless of that I'm a certified grammar freak. I check people's grammar all the time. lol. My friends even call F7 (shortcut for spelling and grammar on MS WORD) because of this weird habit of always correcting them. haha! I'm not saying that I don't make grammar mistakes, I do, I swear. I'm confused too on how to use this word or that word, but I always make sure that everything I write sounds good, if it doesn't, I'll just end up deleting everything. lol. I'm fond of reading books and watching foreign movies and shows so I guess those contributed to my grammar-freak(ness). haha!

Let's get down to business. I won't be enumerating all the mistakes I've seen, I'm just going to enumerate some I guess.


1. LOSE - LOOSE
- I see this all the time. Like "Mavs will win, Heat will LOOSE" oh come on! lol. Did it even made sense? lol. And isn't it quite awkward or wrong to look at?? I base my spelling sometimes on the way I look at it. haha! If it looks awkward, I always assume that it's misspelled. :P

To know the difference between the two, I found this helpful site. :) http://www.educationbug.org/a/lose-vs--loose.html

2. A - AN
- Oh please, this is grade one stuff. :| A is used when the next word starts with a consonant and AN is used when the next word starts with a vowel. But sometimes, some words sound better with 'AN'. Like on Twitter, it kind of sounds wrong when you say "Can I have a RT?" lol. That's why on my Mario Maurer entry, I kept on adding (n) to make it sound nice. :) But I'm not telling you to add (n) when it sound's weird. Just use re-tweet instead of RT to make it sound nice and correct. "Can I have a re-tweet?" :)

3. ITS - IT'S
- To make things simple, it's is a short term/word for IT IS. So when you say "It's amazing!", you're also saying "It is amazing!" Now, let's use ITS. Italy is the 4th most-populated country in Europe, its population estimates to 60 million. Its is a possessive pronoun. I fail on explaining things so you can check this site out if you're still confused: http://garyes.stormloader.com/its.html

4. THEIR - THEY'RE - THERE
- I see this mistake all the time!! I'm just going to use them in a sentence, because like what I said, I'm bad at explaining stuff. lol.
THEIR - That is their house. (showing possession)
THEY'RE - This one is like IT'S, it's a short term/word for THEY ARE. Example: They're going to play outside.
THERE - I think I just saw a bird over there.
I just used simple sentences but I hope you get the difference. Okay, just use this. lol. http://esl.about.com/od/grammarintermediate/a/cm_there.htm

5. THAN - THEN
- I was seriously surprised when I saw a tweet which used THAN rather than THEN. lol. Sentence? I ate an ice cream THEN I tweeted about it. Ice cream is better THAN cake. Than is used to compare things, then is used for telling events or in my sentence's case an action done next. :)

These are just a few of the mistakes that I often see on Twitter. Feel free to correct me in anything or add anything on the list. :)

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: